七月上旬，亞納科查礦業公司（Minera Yanacocha）已開始進行康加計畫蓄水池的籌備工作。該計劃的主要擁有者是世界第二大的金礦開採公司，總部位於科羅拉多州丹佛市的紐蒙特礦業有限公司（Newmont Mining Co.）。秘魯的布埃納文圖拉（Buenaventura）礦業公司則是該計劃的次要擁有者。
7月11日，秘魯總統Ollanta Humala請求天主教教會居中調解康加計畫造成的衝突。過去一直反對康加計畫的地區教會領袖Gregorio Santos，接受了這項提議。
2010年10月，祕魯礦產和能源部（Mines and Energy Ministry）已批准一項為期三年、過程公開，並由12個秘魯政府機構執行的康加計畫環境影響評估。
但該小組仍表示，康加計畫應再評估尾礦（mine tailing）的安置地點，應盡量避開藍湖（Laguna Azul(Azul lake)） 與奇卡湖（Laguna Chica(Chica lake)）周邊地區。
The Peruvian government must immediately halt violent repression of mining protesters, more than 80 environmental and human rights organizations demanded today in a statement that will be delivered to Peruvian embassies and consulates across the United States and Canada.
Protests against Peru's biggest mining project have been brutally put down in June and July in incidents that have left five people dead, including a 17-year-old boy, and dozens of others injured.
The protesters oppose the $4.8 billion Conga gold and copper mining project in the northern Andean province of Cajamarca, out of fear that their water supplies will be contaminated.
Mining company Minera Yanacocha last week began preparations for the construction of water reservoirs at the Conga project. Newmont Mining Co., a Denver, Colorado-based company that is the world's second largest gold mining firm, is the project's majority owner. Peruvian mining company Buenaventura is the minority owner.
The protesters object to mining company plans to drain three pristine mountain lakes and replace them with the reservoirs, and generate massive quantities of toxic mine waste.
Protests intensified in the last week of June after Newmont announced that the company would move forward with the Conga mine, despite growing community opposition.
The Peruvian government declared a State of Emergency in the region on July 3, suspending the right of assembly and causing fears of additional violence that proved to be justified.
On July 4, the day after the State of Emergency was imposed, Marco Arana, a former Catholic priest and a coordinator of opposition to the Conga mine, was pulled by police from a public bench during a silent vigil in the provincial capital of Cajamarca. He was beaten while in custody, suffering internal bleeding, a broken jaw, and other head injuries before his release July 5.
The signatories called on the Peruvian government to immediately put an end to these abuses, and to seek peaceful and dialogue-based resolution to conflicts related to the Conga mine and other mining and energy projects in Peru.
Today, Peruvian President Ollanta Humala called on the Catholic Church to mediate the conflict over the Conga project. Regional president Gregorio Santos, who has opposed the Conga mine, accepted the proposal.
On June 22, Newmont issued a statement pledging to "take a slower development approach focused on building water reservoirs before the construction of mining facilities."
Following this announcement, President Humala expressed his strong support for the stalled Conga project. But Humala, a former military officer who values the mine for the jobs and tax revenues it will create, has said nothing about the violence this week, while his cabinet ministers suspended freedom of assembly and opposition lawmakers demanded that police restrain their attacks.
Following a three year, public process on the Conga project's Environmental Impact Assessment and reviews by 12 Peruvian government agencies, the EIA was approved by the Mines and Energy Ministry in October 2010.
Humala appointed a three-member panel to review the EIA, which confirmed in its April report that the mining plan "meets all the technical requirements for its approval" under Peruvian and international standards.
But the panel said, "Alternatives should be evaluated for the relocation of the mine tailings to try to avoid covering the Azul and Chica lakes."
Newmont has agreed to "progressively implement" these recommendations, but has not yet agreed to keep the Azul and Chica lakes intact.